Sarah is the 1st to feature in our new blog series. Each week, we will be showing you an insight into who works for NOW, what a typical day looks like and advice to pursue a career within their role.
Sarah Tully – Head Office, Birmingham
How long have you worked for Now Careers for?
21 years! I started at NOW Careers back in 1998 as a Receptionist, having now progressed to a Payroll & Accounts Manager.
What does a typical day look like for you?
Every day is definitely different! Although, I would have to say that my busiest days would have to be Tuesday afternoons & Wednesday’s which are payroll days. During this time, my day entails:
- Doing the final check of timesheets to ensure that they match the validations
- Preparing the payroll run and making sure that these balance, before sending off the payment to the bank
- Management reporting and margin reports for the payroll we have just processed
- Adjustment processing
- Processing all banking requirements for the day
- Deal with any inbound email queries
Main responsibilities of your role?
- To start the accounts preparation for the Finance Director & Finance Controller, Purchase Ledger Control and supply payments and payroll calculations
- Supporting the branch with any queries
- Processing both internal & external payments
What challenges do you face within your role?
Meeting the tight banking deadlines as if these are missed, no one would be paid!
What is your favourite part of your role?
To work within an amazing team and company 🙂
What advice would you give to people looking to pursue a career within Payroll?
For this role, I do not believe there are strict guidelines as to what you need skills-wise. However, I would definitely say that it helps being a people-person, having high attention to detail and being good with numbers helps too!